Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Face Time story from Des Moines

Des Moines, Iowa
April 6, 2009

Let me start by saying that I'm still in a dream state. I'm sure I will forget some things and I may repeat others. I'm also probably going to get things in the wrong order. Chalk it up to that "GAAAH!!!!" feeling I'm still experiencing. I normally consider myself a fairly competant writer, but I take absolutely NO responsibility for the drivel this blog could (and probably will) turn into. Forgive me now.

Shannon & Sarah arrived at my house Sunday night before the show. We stayed up all night laughing and giggling over captioned pictures, watching old NK videos and having a total slumber party.We made signs, tshirts and Sarah even made a special "Let's Get This" item (Shhh...ancient NK secret). It was great!

Monday morning came and we lazed around, deciding that the previous day's snow storm probably nixed any early-morning Face Time with the guys. Even Jon had tweeted the night before in Champaign that the crazy bus stalkers were freezing their butts off and he just didn't understand it. Jen & Missy arrived mid-morning and we spent the rest of the morning watching more old skool videos (making total fun of "Stay with Me, Baby") and getting ready for Stalkfest - Spring Edition. We finally got out of the house about noon-ish, grabbed a quick bite and headed to the arena.

Sarah drove with me, Shannon and my 12-yr old daughter, Shelby in her car. Jen & Missy took Jen's car. We decided to do a quick lap around the arena before committing ourselves to a parking space. As we came down the hill next to where the buses were parked, we looked over, scanning the area. I noticed him immediately but couldn't speak (Kinda like those dreams where you wanna run, but your feet don't work?). Shannon says "Umm guys?? That's Donnie."

I freak the hell out. TOTALLY. FREAK. OUT.

I'm pushing buttons on the door, yanking on the handle, shrieking in decibels that only dogs can hear, I'm certain (and I'm sure, the other girls can back me up)....."LEMME OUT!!!!!!!" Of course, in my crazed state, I COMPLETELY block out the fact that poor Sarah has never BEEN to Des Moines before and has NO idea where to go or what to do. (I'm SOOOOOOOO very very very sorry, Sarah! I still freakin' hart you to death!!) Shannon, Shelby and I finally release ourselves from the Chevy prison we're driving and Sarah says "What do I do???" So, as I'm running across the street, I holler back "Do a lap around the block & find parking!!" (Again....Sarah? I lurvey you. You know that, right??)

Shannon, Shelby and I tear across the street and I push Shelby into an empty spot by the gate just as Donnie gets there. He puts his arm around her, hugs her tight, cups her head against his chest and kisses the top of her head.
I. Freaking. MELT.

I work my way down the line to another empty spot just as Jen, Missy & Sarah get there (they managed to find parking a block up the street and Flo-Jo'd their butts down to the gates. Olympic trials organization? We'll be in touch!)

I manage to get in there for a quick hug too. He smelled *SO* damn good. Don't ask me what cologne he had on. I don't know and didn't recognize it right away. I just know it smelled clean, almost like he was fresh from the shower? (Gaaah...I know, right?!) His face was smooth, except his goatee and he gives GREAT hugs, even with just one arm.

He makes his way down the line and gets everybody hugs except Shannon (So sorry, girl!!). He disappears inside one of the buses. So...we're collectively gathering our thoughts. My daughter bursts into happy tears, and being the sap I am, I cry for her.

We are STOKED!!!!

So, the area clears a little bit, people come and go...a little while later, Joe comes out of the arena. Up until now, there really haven't been any screams or shrieks because rumor has it, Barrett & the baby are on the bus and we're assuming G's asleep. Well, Mr. McIntyre changes all that when he comes out and we let out a small scale of screams. Joe, being the jokester he is, does the shushing motion and we all quiet down. He then laughs and says "Nawww..just kiddin'. He's awake." and we all laugh and holler again. He laughs and gets on the bus.


In the meantime, Danny's dad and oldest daughter (?) come out and get on the bus.


Shortly thereafter, Danny came out with Vega and got on the bus. He gave waves and smiles to the crowd. Shelby again had tears in her eyes, as Danny's her favorite. She calmed down and after a while was having a good time waving & "talking" to Vega on the bus. We were all getting quite the giggle from her, actually. She kept peering out the driver's side window making the cutest faces. She was a trip. Loved that little girl half to death. LOL

Some more time went by and Earl, their bodyguard, comes out and gets on the Mac bus. He comes out a few minutes later and informs the crowd that they're coming out soon and that there are to be NO pictures taken of the baby when he comes out. Joe came out first with Duncan, the dog. Everybody "oooh'd and ahhhh'd" and Joe hollers out "Awwww, shaaaadupppp!" and then laughed. Rotten turd. LOL


Earlier, we'd noticed there was a stuffed animal on the dash of the Mac bus, and since nobody else knew what it was, I decided to ask Joe. Keep in mind, two weeks ago, I had some sinus/allergy issues that caused me to cough a lot. I ended up losing my voice before the Moline show. What little I could speak was lost the minute they came on stage that night. Four days later and I was *still* struggling. So when I holler out Joe's name, I know I must've sounded like a really raspy Tara Reid, at best, but at the very least, a very bad drag queen...LOL Anyway....

I get Joe's attention and ask him what stuffed animal is in the window. He turned and looked RIGHT AT ME (GAH!!! That Mac Stare!!) and said that it was "Road Dawg" and belonged to the bus driver. I know I said something else, but at this point in time, I don't remember what it was. Shannon hollered out that he was killing us in those jeans (yes, girls...it was THE Jeans). He just grinned and I swear the man shimmmied his butt at us.

Barrett & the baby came out shortly thereafter and the cameras went away (except for some girls down the row that Earl yelled at later...seriously? Shame on you!). Griffin had on an adorable little Boston Red Sox cap and Barrett was gorgeous as always. I told her what a wonderful woman she was and thanked her for being so tolerant of the psychosis we bring to their lives. I'm forever in awe at what a beautiful family they are. They all went inside and excitement died down for a little while again.

This is where things get fuzzy...so bear with me. LOL
At some point, somebody got off one of the buses and walked to the back. We didn't realize it until he came back and got back on the bus, but it was Jon. Sneaky little brat! Shortly thereafter, Donnie came back out with Jordan & Jon (again). Neither of them came over to the fence, though. Jordan did a little "paparazzi dance" and went inside and Donnie got on the BDB.



A little while later, Danny came out with the girls and they went inside. He gave waves again. :)

A few minutes after that, Donnie's bodyguard (Sorry, I can't remember his name) came out and said that he was gonna go down the line again and if you were out there before and got hugs, to please step back and let those come forward who hadn't met him before. We all stepped back, except for Shannon, but at our end of the line, it had thinned down considerably. We waited a few minutes and when nobody stepped forward, we went back against the gate. (and no, I don't feel the least bit guilty! LOL)


Donnie headed toward the front of the line and slowly worked his way down toward us. He looked at Shelby and she must've been shivering or something because he said "Little one, are you okay??" She muttered or nodded yes and he pulled her in close again, stroked her hair, kissed the top of her head and she said he even made a little "aww" sound as he hugged her. (Couldn't you just DIE?!)

He got to Sarah and apparently recognized her from before (even though she'd ditched her hat and zipped up her hoodie) and asked her "Didn't we meet before?" She just kinda nodded and grinned...he moved on (so sorry, Sarah! But hey?? DONNIEFRIGGINWAHLBERG recognized you!!!). He moved onto Manda...and apologized for kicking a pop can over and spilling on her shoes.

I have to stop for a moment and brag about the "Mamarazzi Skillz" my daughter has developed. For this having been her maiden voyage into full blown StalkFest, she delivered BIG. She managed to get this shot of Jon when he came off the Dark Knight bus.


At this point, I'm realizing that I have ONE shot at this...and I've heard that sometimes, if you ask for what you want, you get it. So Donnie gets to me and I can't even look him in the eye. I just look at his mouth (Sapmonster warning: that gorgeous, amazing, beautiful mouth) and ask him "Donnie, can I have a kiss??" He says, as he hugs me, "I can't lipkiss you, baby, you could get sick from me, but..." and he kissed me on the corner of my mouth and hugged me tight. *insert fangirl shrieks here* Before he pulls away entirely, I find myself petting his coat and saying "My God, it IS like buttah!!" He just laughs and squeezes my arm. He made his way through the rest of the line and disappeared inside. Shortly thereafter, Jon came back from behind the buses CrackBerrying & talking to a woman I didn't recognize and they, too, went inside.


Three hours had passed since we first whipped out of the car and tore across the street, but it all flew by SO quickly. A few quick words and a couple of hugs and our Face Time had ended. But those few moments, while mixed up and fuzzy, will remain in my mind forever.

I've been a fan for 20+ years and each concert I've been to, I've gotten closer and closer to being able to touch & talk to them. This experience was truly a dream come true. Such an overused phrase, but honestly? There's no other way to describe it. I always wondered what I would say if I ever met them. For two decades I've rehearsed clever commentary, witty banter and when they're right there in front of you, it all disappears. You find yourself clamoring for words at all, much less words that work together to form a cohesive thought. If I had to give advice to anyone wondering how to get Face Time, relax. It WILL happen, but you have to be committed to it. You can't stand at the curb and wait for them to come to you. You can't remain a wallflower and expect a conversation to happen. The guys are on a tight schedule (Donnie had several interviews he had to do before M&G time and it was only about an hour before that would've begun), so what you do get will be quick. Don't waste an opportunity or it will pass you by. Be aggressive, but not pushy. It's a delicate balance. Above all, remember that these guys owe us NOTHING. Even a wave from the buses is more than many of us will ever get. Take what you can get.

As far as the concert went, it too was amazing. In August 1989, I went to my first concert: NKOTB. Last Monday, I took my daughter to her first concert: NKOTB. Being able to share this experience with her was so much more awesome than even the hugs and kisses I got from Donnie. I watched that little girl's face light up again and again in wonderment of what was happening around her and I remember back to my first show. And I know my first concert experience wasn't nearly as cool as hers was. I didn't get "Face Time" or a backstage pass. And here my baby girl is getting hugs and cuddles from one of the men I've loved and adored for my entire life. It can only be described as surreal. She has memories that I worked my whole life to get. I'm still brought to tears by the fact that she got to experience this.




To the guys - I've rambled on and on here. I don't know that you've even read it, but if you have, I just want to tell you THANK YOU. I know you've said it to us again and again for our support through the years, but honestly, you deserve so much more than just "thanks" for what you've done. We were left in such a dark place in 1994 when you left the stage. Because of your reunion, your desire to return to music...to us...you've helped us reunite with friends we haven't talked to since high school. You've helped us become friends with new people all across the world (thanks to these boards). You've helped us share with our own children what you gave to us so many years ago. With all my heart and everything that's in me, I thank you so deeply for all of this and more. Thank you for your constant communication with us, the blogs, the vlogs, the Tweets, the shoutouts, the "eyesex" from the stage, all of it. YOU are amazing and I love you all so much.

--Melly--

No comments:

Post a Comment