Tuesday, December 16, 2008

NKOTB - Trip to KC - Part 1

November 10th: The morning started out simply enough. CriSILLYus and I had pretty much packed the night before, so all we had left to do was grab last minute stuff, throw some food in the cooler and load the car.

I owe Silly a tube of meat, though. hehe.

Since Silly was figuring out the architecture of our luggage situation and her compact car, I figured I'd cut up the cheese and sausage she had in the fridge. I got about half-way done with the sausage and Rice Chex pulled up, so I went outside to greet her. I helped unload her car and into hers. Chatted for a bit as Silly finished loading the trunk then I came back in. The cooler had been moved and the sausage was gone, so I asked her if she'd packed things up. She said "No, why?" I replied with "Where'd the sausage go?" At that point in time, I caught the dog slinking
away with his tail between his legs. SONOFABITCH! The fucking dog at her sausage! Great way to start the trip, don't you agree?? LOL!

Well, we load what's left of the food and we're off! To QuikTrip. We top off the gas tank, grab some breakfast and we're off again! Yay!
Several dozen miles down the road (just inside Missouri) we stop again. Rice Chex and I have to pee, so we stop at Uncle Bob's gas station just off I-35. Quick pee and we're ready to go again. When we get back in the car, out of nowhere, Rice Chex pops up with this little diamond: "So here is something that disturbs me greatly...glass dildos?" This leads into a 20 minute discussion on the benefits and drawbacks of pyrex vs. silicone. Definitely interesting repertoir for the trip!


As we edge near Kansas City, our excitement begins to rise. And in our haste (and my bad memory) we end up going east on 70 instead of south on 35. After some very sketchy instincts kicked in, we did eventually find our way through the downtown area and discovered the Sprint Center.

We circled the joint about twelve times, argued about the hollowness of a particular corner as to whether buses could park in there and after unsuccessfully capturing the Boys on the billboard out front, we parked and I walked over to the sign to get my shot.


I hopped back in the car and we were off again. This time, despite our small turn-around south of downtown, we found Crown Center much more easily and spent the rest of the afternoon there. We drew pictures at the Crayola store, had lunch at A Streetcar Named Desire and perused the little shops before grabbing a custard and going to check in at the hotel.

A sampling of my art:


and Rice Chex with hers:
The hotel was amazing! We stayed at the Q in Westport and despite some issues with the key cards, we were HIGHLY impressed with it all. The only green hotel I've ever stayed at, but it was really awesome, except for the wall of ass in elevator one and the waify curtain of ass in elevator two. Gawd...what DIED?!

Our hotel offered us a free drink during social hour, so we each grabbed one, socialized a bit in the lobby and then headed off to dinner at Californo's, a little bistro just down the street from our hotel. I was skeptical about what they'd have that I would eat. I'm SO typically midwestern, it's scary. Everything seemed to have froof (my definition: shit I don't like surrounded with crap I wouldn't ever even try.) but I was starving, so I knew I had to find something. Being on a budget, I didn't want to spring $18 for a sandwich that I probably wouldn't like, so I settled on a salad. The girls ordered a fancy brie appetizer, which was very good. The dinners came and after feasting on the brie & crackers and taking into consideration the size of the portions, Silly decided that splitting her steak sandwich with me was a must-do. The mashed potatoes were to die for, too. By the time all was said and done, I have to give Californo's a two thumbs-up. They had open-mic night and while it was a VERY very small crowd, it was still a great time! The whole place was very quaint and cozy and I will totally go back next time we're in town.

(stay tuned for parts 2 - whatever...)

No comments:

Post a Comment